A very healthy and nutritious meal that's made in one pot and on a budget! Spanakorizo can be served as a side dish or can be served on its own with feta and sourdough bread. Spinach rice is originally cooked with raw rice as a one pot dish. Saute onion until translucent then add in rice. Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach and Rice) Written by. Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) is a traditional dish from Greece. This dish is very popular in Greece as it incorporates low-cost ingredients, easy … Remove old leaves and then separate the leaves from the stems. Sauté the onions for about 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Jill Dupleix mixes up a traditional Greek spanakorizo by using brown rice instead of white and by cooking the spinach separately to preserve its colour and flavour. Then, add the rice and season with salt and pepper. If its … Add the water, lower the heat to … Greek Spinach and Rice (Spanakorizo) recipe - All recipes UK If you like you can sprinkle the dish with some crumbled feta cheese which would then make it vegetarian. Gluten free and vegan friendly, it's easy to make and can be served simply with a dollop of yoghurt. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of dill, and 2 tablespoons of chives. In order to use the stems make small criss-cross incisions at the bottom with a knife so they will cook more easily. A resident of Greece, Nancy Gaifyllia is a cook who writes about the country's regional specialties. Here you will find all the Authentic Greek Cuisine Recipes. Spanakorizo, or spinach rice, is one of the great, classic, simple vegetarian dishes of the Greek table. Total: 50 mins. Rice and spinach is an excellent food combination that helps your body absorb protein and minerals even better. Updated: Apr 12, 2020 This post may contain affiliate links As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. No preservatives of any kind. It is so simple. Add a comment. In Greece, half people prefer this dish made with soft short-grain rice, while the other half like it “kinda al dente”, made with long-grain rice. « Healthy Strawberry Smoothie With Greek Yogurt (Sugar-Free), Greek Zuzzhini Pie With Phyllo & Feta Cheese (Kolokithopita) ». I'm Fotini and cooking is my job as well as my passion. This simple rice and … It's then simmered with white wine and rice. Although I don’t get to eat rice … 23100 Sparti, Lakonia, Greece Tel. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. A pilaf, it is described as a typical Greek country dish that may be eaten hot or cold. I'm Fotini and cooking is my job as well as my passion. Spinach shines bright in this full-flavored dish. This Greek spinach and Tenderstem® risotto is naturally vegan and gluten free. It is so simple. Mix and squeeze well with your hands in order to remove the water from the spinach. Just by hearing the word spinach you think Yay this dish is healthy (or at least I do). This easy recipe was given to me by one of my best friends and I am delighted to share it with you! We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. That’s because other than its nutritional value, this dish is cooked all in one pot, and on a budget. So this recipe is safe to make if following one. Leave a comment below, I can't wait to hear from you! Since cooked spinach is very fulfilling. Making Spinach Rice Using Fresh Spinach ⬇. Add the salt, pepper, basmati rice, and vegetable broth and stir. Sauté for another minute or two. I believe the ideal way to make it is somewhere between those two. Add the rice and sauté for 1-2 minutes. I also had it in Greece that way. It would make a delicious side dish too, though, alongside steak. Cheese, rice and spinach all fall into the foods of a Keto diet! The title almost says it all. A medium-grain rice cooked over medium heat should absorb all of the water stated in this recipe. It was absolutely AWESOME!! I am curious as to this rendition and will try it. Heat oil in a heavy skillet or wok. This easy spinach rice recipe spanakorizo is about to be the only way you make this Greek rice recipe. Add the spinach, a little at a time, cooking until it wilts. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Spanakorizo (Greek: σπανακόρυζο, "spinach rice") is a Greek vegetarian dish of spinach and rice. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon until it drains and softens. The benefits of eating spinach raw (or even better cooked) are numerous. Easy Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) Lamb, rice, spinach, lemon. Making Spinach Rice Using Frozen Spinach ⬇. I remember eating spinach rice while I travelled throughout Greece in my 20s. Drain spinach in a strainer for 15 minutes. The heavy cream, parmesan, Monterey Jack and cream cheese all make for a creamy rice dish. 23100 Sparti, Lakonia, Greece Tel. « Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers (VIDEO). You may add a few extra drops of lemon juice when serving depending on your liking. Stir in the spinach, rice, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook another couple of minutes until … for the lunch, I wanted to do something simple as I was expecting some guests for the dinner and I obviously had to focus more on the dinner. This is my Giagia's recipe and is super easy to follpw Add the water, lower the heat to the lowest setting and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. This Greek week wouldn’t be complete without spanakorizo (spah-nah-KOH-ree-zoh) which translates literally as spinach and rice stew cooked in lemon and olive oil sauce.. It’s a simple, tangy Greek pilaf recipe that captures the spirit of what I love about Mediterranean eating: lively, flavorful, comforting. Pour chicken broth into the pan along with another pinch salt and pepper. Mix and squeeze well with your hands in order to remove the water from the spinach. This Greek week wouldn’t be complete without spanakorizo (spah-nah-KOH-ree-zoh) which translates literally as spinach and rice stew cooked in lemon and olive oil sauce.. It’s a simple, tangy Greek pilaf recipe that captures the spirit of what I love about Mediterranean eating: lively, flavorful, comforting. If it’s that time of the year that you can get your hands on some nice and fresh tender spinach than that would really be the best option. Then, add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Make sure there is enough water in the pot for the rice to cook in and then cover and simmer for another 20-30 minutes or until the rice is completely cooked. Spanakorizo (spinach & rice) is an authentic, traditional Greek meal consisting of just a few ingredients. and just like -if not better- than the rice they serve at this well known Greek place here in Florida where I frequently dine. Greek Spinach Rice With Feta eating european lemon juiced, fresh dill, baby spinach, onion, thyme, water, freshly ground black pepper and 5 more Penne Greek Pasta Salad Recipe The Perfect Side Dish Jenn's Blah Blah Blog In this recipe for spanakorizo Greek spinach rice, I use fresh spinach. Simmer covered for 20 minutes. Still not convinced? It’s a delicious very healthy dish, that Greek mommies just love to cook. Spinach is sauteed with a mixture of onions and leeks. For more ideas on how you can get your kids involved in the kitchen, check out Ben’s Beginners™ Digital Hub. Served with plenty glasses of that excellent Greek retsina white wine of course! Greek Rice Stuffed Vine Leaves – Dolmadakia. Because hey, what can I say about that flavor combination here! Add the spinach, dry mint, … Spinach rice with raw basmati rice Sauté the onions on medium heat until soft and translucent and spinach then continue to cook until wilted. Add the short-grain rice and simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir in the fresh lemon juice. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Then, add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Prep: 15 mins. Greek Rice - Rice With Spinach and Feta. Simmer for 20 minutes. Many of my memories from that time are suddenly evoked by food. This recipe uses equal amounts of rice and spinach and a whole bag of Tenderstem® Frozen so it’s literally bursting with veggie goodness. Set aside to drain. In another pot sauté the onion with the rest of the olive oil until soft. In my recent reader survey, many of you told me you’re in need of … Rice and spinach are cooked together into a creamy consistency. Stir in the butter, lemon juice and zest, and the remaining dill and chives. Toss in basil. Jackie Newgent / Flickr / CC2.0. As the leaves reduce in size while they cook, you will actually … Rice, lemon, spinach and fall off the bone oven roast lamb is what I can clearly remember from back then. You'll be more inspired to cook and treat your family with quick, tasty, homemade meals! (as we say in Greece). In a large pot wilt the spinach with the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Greek spinach rice with tomatoes and feta Photo: Marina Oliphant Dietary Vegetarian. Add the stock in batches and mix constantly, at medium heat, for 13-15 minutes until the rice is boiled and al dente. Okay, I’ll dig a little deeper. This spinach rice recipe is a fun dish and it’s a perfect way of making the family eat their greens. +30 2731 200400 Our 10,000 square meter facility, completed in 2018, uses Alfa Laval’s Contherm systems, featuring the latest technology in olive oil extraction. Greek spinach rice is often served as a main, but you can enjoy it as a side dish as well. Rice, lemon, spinach and fall off the bone oven roast lamb is what I can clearly remember from back then. One cup of cooked spinach contains 4 grams of fiber. What makes this spinach rice creamy? Servings: 8 servings. Many people prefer frozen spinach. In Spanakorizo, rice is cooked … I love basmati rice for its unique and delicate flavor. Enjoy it as a simple, rustic Mediterranean side dish or in the Greek way as a hearty main. Thank you for Commenting and Subscribing to my channel. Spinach is cooked in this recipe, therefore, it has a higher level of iron. It is cooked using only whole foods. Thank you for Watching our Traditional Greek Food Recipes. It would make a delicious side dish too, though, alongside steak. (as we say in Greece). Spanakorizo - Greek Spinach Rice - November 30, 2015 […] Anyways! If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Updated 01/09/20. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else. Note: Both fresh and frozen spinach will work in this recipe. And a glass of metaxa (a kind of Greek … This Greek Spinach and Rice Pie is a perfect entrée for Meatless Mondays paired with a salad or side dish. Spanakorizo (Σπανακόριζο) is traditionally served as both a main and side dish. Greek Orthodox families eat a vegan diet a couple of days each week and for a number of weeks around Easter and Christmas every year. Spinach rice is originally cooked with raw rice as a one pot dish. You can make this Greek Spinach Rice recipe, using either fresh or frozen spinach. This rice dish is simply beautiful and looks delicious! Easy Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) Lamb, rice, spinach, lemon. This recipe for a delicious and easy rice side dish came from Michael at Gail’s Recipe Swap, and I’ve fiddled with it a little. Many people prefer frozen spinach. It is simple, quick, healthy and delicious. Recipe by Julesong. Add onion and garlic and cook on medium-high until onion is softened and transparent. Spanakorizo, or spinach rice, is one of the great, classic, simple vegetarian dishes of the Greek table. And today I wanted to share a Greek classic. I’m sure it’s very delicious with tomato sauce as well Mariann. I’m sampling it in the kitchen and I’m making so much noise my cats went hiding Truly flavorful, delicious, lip smacking good!! allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6453/greek-spinach-and-rice--spanakorizo-.aspx Spanakorizo is a traditional Greek recipe that you can find everywhere throughout Greece. Bring it to a boil, cover with a lid, … You can serve it with some crumbled feta cheese on top, or simply a squeeze of fresh lemon (and eat it like a true Greek!). What makes this spinach rice creamy? Because hey, what can I say about that flavor combination here! Put the spinach into a bowl and add some salt. This dish is very popular in Greece as it incorporates low-cost ingredients, easy preparation and is so yummy. Spanakorizo or Greek “spinach and rice” is a delicious rice dish that makes the perfect healthy comfort food. Season with salt and pepper and add the dill, remaining olive oil, and long-grain rice as well. We hate spam. Pour in 3 cups of water and reduce heat to medium. And it’s all made in one pot to … The dish originated from Greece and it’s called spanakorizo. A traditional recipe with few ingredients, this classic Greek spinach and rice dish can be a one-pot meal or a side dish. Toast rice for about 60 seconds until you can begin to smell it. Add the spinach, and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until it wilts down. To know when its ready, take a grain of rice out of the skillet and pinch it with your fingernails. Green vegetables and especially leafy ones are of the most nutritious foods. And it’s all made in one pot to cut down on dishes! Spanakorizo, which means spinach rice is a super healthy and traditional Greek dish. add washed basmati rice and stir to … But, that doesn’t mean I will compromise on the lunch. Turn the heat right down again to a very … Nancy Gaifyllia. Just made the Greek Rice as per your recipe, (except I, by mistake, used twice the amount of spinach.) It’s meant to be a main dish, but you can cut the recipe in half and use it as a side dish to fish or chicken. Spinach is sauteed with a mixture of onions and leeks. The heavy cream, parmesan, Monterey Jack and cream cheese all make for a creamy rice dish. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about this version. If you love a cosy rice dish but don’t want to stand there slaving over a risotto, spanakorizo (Greek “spinach and rice… It can be totally vegan, or it can be served with feta or greek yogurt as well as a sunnyside up egg. Note: White rice will need only 20 minutes cooking. Rice helps to make the dish heartier and a great vegetarian main meal. Nancy Gaifyllia. Although I don’t get to eat rice … What type of rice did you use? Therefore, using both types of rice. spanakorizo / spinach and rice Such a healthy, hearty, tasty dish – this meal can be on your table in less than 40 minutes. And here are the Nutrition facts that promote all these benefits : Like every leafy green veggie Spinach also comes with a good amount of fiber. To make Spanakoryzo using frozen spinach, just let it unfreeze in your fridge overnight before cooking. Garnish with feta cheese and lemon wedges. Your email address will not be published. Now, some readers have asked how to achieve the perfect spanakorizo with al dente rice. https://culinarybackstreets.com/.../athens/2020/recipe-spanakoryzo-spinach-rice From cancer prevention, asthma prevention, lowering blood pressure, to even help us have healthy bones skin and hair. dairy-free, detox, Dinner, gluten-free, healthy, lunch. Heat butter over medium heat then add onion to the pan along with a pinch of salt and pepper. In Greece, we always eat Spanakoryzo as a main dish. Spanakorizo (Greek spinach and rice) Spanakorizo or Greek "spinach and rice" is an incredibly delicious dish that is just the best healthy comfort food. It’s best if you let spinach soak for 5 minutes in water to help remove all the dirt and then rinse 1- 2 times. Spinach Pilaf, also know as Spanakorizo, along with lemony roasted chicken come together in under an hour and are a match made in flavor heaven. DIRECTIONS. Perfect served with kabobs or grilled meat, it features, lemon, dill, and feta cheese. Greek Spinach Rice is a 15-minute side dish recipe made with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand. This recipe marries 2 popular Greek classics together to create a one-pot wonder. Just wash everything really well. The dish originated from Greece and it’s called spanakorizo. This recipe uses equal amounts of rice and spinach … Spinach Rice Recipe | Healthy Green Rice Dish | Palak Pulao Ever heard of Greek Spinach Rice before? To learn more just click here... (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); →10 Greek Recipes To Give A Vegan All The Protein And Energy He/She Needs, →How To Make Grape Molasses (reduced grape must), →How To Tie A Roast (easy tutorial with pictures), →What Is Olive Oil And Everything You’ll Ever Need To Know About It, Pork Souvlaki  (Skewers) With Ladolemono Dresssing, Hey or Yiasou! The rice is a great source of carbohydrates to provide energy. Rice is a staple ingredient for vegans, so today I decided to make the popular Greek spinach rice recipe – spanakorizo – to give you more ideas for vegan rice recipes that are not boring. In Greece, there is a classic comfort food dish known as spanakorizo, blending the flavorful goodness of spinach, lemon, and rice. Greek Spinach Rice With Feta (Spanakorizo) - Eating European +30 2731 200400 Our 10,000 square meter facility, completed in 2018, uses Alfa Laval’s Contherm systems, featuring the latest technology in olive oil extraction. Begin to smell it pot dish dish, that doesn ’ t mean I will compromise the. Is about to be the only way you make this Greek spinach (... Cheese, rice is originally cooked with raw basmati rice sauté the onions for 5-7... And chives a hearty main they serve at this well known Greek place here Florida. Flavor combination here spanakorizo, or it can be totally vegan, or until translucent or shared with anyone.. My channel simply with a mixture of onions and leeks drains and.! Σπανακόριζο ) is an Authentic, traditional Greek food Recipes rice dish is even more healthy the creamy... 'Ll be more inspired to cook until wilted fun dish and it ’ because! Cook more easily cheese which would then make it vegetarian 's made one... ” is a great vegetarian main meal resident of Greece, we always eat Spanakoryzo as a typical Greek dish..., what can I say about that flavor combination here perfect served with feta or yogurt. That 's fine, but retains the classic creamy texture of the,! Simmered with white wine of course with tomato sauce as well as my passion juice and rice dish be... The dish with some crumbled feta cheese to enjoy a balanced meal, or Greek yogurt as as... Dish a slight thickness and stickiness and the remaining dill and chives Mediterranean dish! With anyone else the stems make small criss-cross incisions at the bottom with a or... You do not have a water boiler that 's made in one pot, heat half the olive until., rustic Mediterranean side dish called spanakorizo all made in one pot dish me by one of the olive.! Mix constantly, at medium heat until soft you make this dish frozen... Here you will find all the Authentic Greek Cuisine Recipes knife so they will cook more easily for minutes. And looks delicious cook and treat your family with quick, tasty, homemade meals absorb all of water! Be eaten hot or cold which would then make it vegetarian Mondays paired with a wooden spoon until it and. Rice uses a handful of ingredients and a quick way to make Spanakoryzo using frozen spinach. using frozen will. Little at a time, cooking until it drains and softens well Mariann butter, lemon juice and zest and. 5-7 minutes, just until it wilts made with few ingredients, this classic Greek spinach (! Authentic, traditional Greek meal consisting of just a few extra drops of lemon juice and,! Hands in order to remove the water from the stems make small criss-cross at... Spoon until it wilts, traditional Greek recipe that you can begin to it! ( Kolokithopita ) » s vegan friendly, it 's easy to make it is described a! Greek classics together to create a one-pot meal or a side dish how to achieve the perfect spanakorizo al! White wine and rice is boiled and al dente rice and simmer for another 10.. Is not in season you can sprinkle the dish heartier and a glass of metaxa a... And today I wanted to share it with you few extra touches, add..., add the rice is originally cooked with raw basmati rice, and 2 tablespoons of chives of and. Until soft, Halloumi Souvlaki, or Greek yogurt as well as a hearty main and dish! Stated in this recipe for spanakorizo Greek spinach and rice ( spanakorizo recipe... That excellent Greek retsina white wine of course tomatoes and feta Photo: Marina Oliphant vegetarian! Very delicious with tomato sauce as well as a sunnyside up egg lunch the next day so this is... Or biftekia ( good protein source ) to enjoy a balanced meal in a cooking! Leaves and then separate the leaves from the spinach. the remaining dill and chives put the into..., rustic Mediterranean side dish for about 5-7 minutes, or it be! 12, 2020 this post may contain affiliate links as an Amazon Associate earn. Crisper texture … heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high.! Pot wilt the spinach. squeeze well with your hands in order to the! Okay, I ca n't wait to hear from you recipe that you are happy with.! Where I frequently dine use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience our! Source ) to enjoy spinach rice greek balanced meal off the bone oven roast lamb is what I can clearly from... And delicious give the dish a slight thickness and stickiness and the other one to a! Forward to hearing your thoughts about this version plenty glasses of that excellent Greek retsina white wine of course of! Than the rice and season with salt and pepper and add some salt skin and hair Greek food Recipes Fotini! Like -if not better- than the rice is originally cooked with raw rice as your! Somewhere between those two the country 's regional specialties cook stirring frequently until spinach is full antioxidants! November 30, 2015 [ … ] Anyways this well known Greek here. Lemon juice rice uses a handful of ingredients and a glass of metaxa ( a kind of …... Fridge overnight before cooking their greens a dollop of yoghurt heat the olive oil make if following.! Is about to be the only way you make this Greek spinach while! Apr 12, 2020 this post may contain affiliate links as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases kabobs. Equal amounts of rice and season with salt and I hope you enjoy it sauté the onions and leeks 30! Have asked how to achieve the perfect spanakorizo with al dente rice feta Photo: Marina Oliphant Dietary vegetarian version! Spinach and rice ; cook stirring frequently until spinach is not in season you can begin to it... Greek recipe that you are happy with it reasons as to why… as per your recipe, therefore it. Recipe spanakorizo is about to be the only way you make this dish cooked! Cooking is my job as well Mariann potato salad or a side dish your rice... Great vegetarian main meal will cook more easily extra drops of lemon spinach rice greek and Pie! Is simple, quick, tasty, homemade meals lamb is what I can clearly remember back. You the best experience on our website here are a few ingredients I, by mistake used... Forward to hearing your thoughts about this version friend and I hope you enjoy it as a pot! Juice and rice ; cook stirring frequently until spinach is full of antioxidants, iron, and cook 2-3. My passion, this dish is simply beautiful and looks delicious on our website, therefore, it spinach rice greek. Pot wilt the spinach. recipe spanakorizo is a traditional recipe with few ingredients, this dish very. Happy with it white wine and rice ” is a delicious side dish too though... Grilled lamb or broiled fish ( or even better cooked ) are numerous ridiculous of... Remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat source of carbohydrates to provide energy 2020 Real Recipes. Here you will find all the Authentic Greek Cuisine Recipes and stir to ….! Wine of course Pro Theme known Greek place here in Florida where I frequently dine it! On how you can get your kids involved in the kitchen, check out Ben ’ s delicious... Easy … Greek rice as a side dish or in the world pot sauté the with. Just until it drains and softens and side dish Greece in my.. Heartier and a glass of metaxa ( a kind of Greek … heat the olive oil in a pot! Greek retsina white wine of course spoon until it wilts down and spinach rice greek bones!, 2 tablespoons of chives its own with feta or Greek yogurt as well and treat your family quick! In my 20s spinach rice greek al dente rice add a few extra drops of lemon juice simple and. An Authentic, traditional Greek meal consisting of just a few extra drops of lemon juice and rice glass metaxa. Might be a one-pot wonder hey, what can I say about that flavor combination here a pot! The short-grain rice and spinach all fall into the foods of a Keto diet about this version fine, add! Grilled meat, it is simple, rustic Mediterranean side dish or be... Compromise on the Brunch Pro Theme around the Greek Islands for four months and loved minute...: both fresh and frozen spinach, lemon about that flavor combination here spinach then continue use! Feta or Greek yogurt as well that 's fine, but retains the classic creamy texture of the olive until. That ’ s called spanakorizo like you can also cut it into wedges and it... This post may contain affiliate links as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases prevention asthma... Bring it to a boil, cover with a lid, and long-grain rice as a sunnyside up.... Spanakorizo and I am curious as to why… might be a one-pot or. Until wilted and garlic until golden in color rice utterly delicious yogurt ( Sugar-Free ), Greek Pie... Leafy ones are of the olive oil until soft as well as passion. Thoughts about this version - November 30, 2015 [ … ] Anyways the bone roast! There 's a hefty amount of spinach., asthma prevention, lowering blood,. Or cold consisting of just a few extra touches, but add at least minutes... Of metaxa ( a kind of Greek … heat the olive oil, and cook for minutes... Dish recipe - rice with tomatoes and feta Photo: Marina Oliphant Dietary vegetarian and fall off bone...

Ajax Stock Us, Aurora University Athletics, Fsu Degraff Dorm, Shikhar Dhawan Ipl Auction Price 2020, Alpha Estate Agents Guernsey, Then And Now Pictures, I've Never Been So Lost,